Wars and Windmills

14 January 2010

Divulgence VI

J-Lo's Jenny from the Block has long been the song most likely to audibly violate my poor ears and then, as though nothing just happened, it sit down on my brain-couch and get cozy. It's not dissimilar to the facehugger from the movie Alien: it latches on, impregnates, lulls into thinking all is well, and then, out of no where, when you are in a social situation in which singing J-Lo would be considered awkward (are there times when it wouldn't be?), it explodes out of you to the shock and disgust of all.

However, another song has been produced that is, like the Alien from Alien: "the perfect organism. A killing machine whose physical excellence is matched only by it's hostility". The prefect mixture of catchy and annoying: Beyonce's Put A Ring On It. WHY can't songs I enjoy ever get stuck in my head? I am Ripley. I am ever dogged by the same demon, torment on repeat. Even if I were to traverse the expanses of time and space, by some preternatural ability some poorly written over produced drivel will find my ear, face-hug it, and...well, you know.



I tell you that, so I could tell you this:

Recently, a face-hugger from my past has reemerged. Like the Alien from Alien³, it has a similar form but a few different features. This song tried to romance my brain before it embed itself by being a song that, embarrassing, I used to enjoy listening to; hence the divulgence. In 1992 Ugly Kid Joe wrote a song that encapsulated all that I now think is wrong with music: Everything About You.. It is contrived, meant to capitalize on the popular "alternative rock" craze of the 90's; and it is so obnoxious that of course it appealed to the Beevis and Butt-head loving, every bit as annoying Darren of the early 90's.

In earnest, U.K.J. wasn't as bad as the J-Lo or Beyonce experience. It was annoying, but it's romancing worked, and for a while now I have been in a continual state of nostalgia for the songs I enjoyed in the 90's. So I have started a playlist, and have been whistling a hunting song as I look for both the good and the bad. I will share what I have so far with hopes that anyone still reading this will have further ideas, and I am not pulling any proverbial punches, this is a divulgence and I admit to liking all these songs. For the sake of space, I have tried to keep these to the years I was in high school: 1992-96.

(also, if a band has multiple tracks, I didn't put them all, but there are some with multiple listings)

(also, don't mention Jessie by Joshua Kadison...that song is so bad that even 90's Darren didn't like it).

Man in the Box -- Alice in Chains (1991)
Down in a Hole -- Alice in Chains (1992)
Rooster -- Alice in chains (1993)
Good -- Better Than Ezra (1995)
Bittersweet -- Big Head Todd & the Monsters (1993)
Poor Miss -- Big Head Todd & the Monsters (1994)
No Rain -- Blind Melon (1992)
Run-Around -- Blues Traveler (1994)
Hook -- Blues Traveler (1994)
(Everthing I Do) I Do It For You -- Brian Adams (1991)
Glycerine -- Bush (1995)
Stickshifts and Safety Belts -- CAKE (1996)
Friend is a Four Letter Word -- CAKE (1996)
Satellite -- Dave Matthews Band (1994)
Ants Marching -- Dave Matthews Band (1994)
Crash Into Me-- Dave Matthews Band (1996)
Lie in Our Graves (1996)
Personal Jesus -- Depeche Mode (1990)
One Caress -- Depeche Mode (1993)
I'll Be -- Edwin McCain (1998)
Tears in Heaven -- Eric Clapton (1992)
More Than Words -- Extreme (1990)
Name -- Goo Goo Dolls (1995)
Iris -- Goo Goo Dolls (1998)
Black Balloon -- Goo Goo Dolls (1998)
Basket Case -- Green Day (1994)
Time -- Hootie & the Blowfish (1995)
Hold My Hand -- Hootie & the Blowfish (1995)
Let Her Cry -- Hootie & the Blowfish (1995)
Out to Get You -- James (1993)
Say Something -- James (1993)
Laid -- James (1993)
Lullaby -- James(1993)
Flood -- Jars of Clay (1995)
I Alone -- Live (1994)
Lightning Crashes -- Live (1994)
All Over You -- Live (1994)
Sick Of Myself -- Matthew Sweet (1995)
The Beautiful People -- Marylin Manson(1996)
Enter Sandman -- Metallica (1991)
Sad But True -- Metallica (1991)
Hurt -- Nine Inch Nails (1994)
Smells Like Teen Spirit -- Nirvana (1991)
In Bloom -- Nirvana (1991)
Come As You Are -- Nirvana (1991)
Wonderwall -- Oasis
Self Esteem -- The Offspring (1994)
Once -- Pearl Jam (1991)
Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town -- Pearl Jam (1993)
Yellow Ledbetter -- Pearl Jam (1991)
I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)-- The Proclaimers (heard 1994)
Creep -- Radiohead --(1993)
Under the Bridge -- Red Hot Chili Peppers (1991)
Did You Ever Look So Nice -- The Samples (1992)
Little Silver Ring -- The Samples (1993)
Who Am I? -- The Samples (1994)
Runaway Train -- Soul Asylum
Blackhole Sun -- Soundgarden (1994)
Two Princes -- Spin Doctors (1991)
Hell -- Squirrel Nut Zippers (1996)
Fields of Gold -- Sting (1993)
Dead and Bloated -- Stone Temple Pilots (1992)
Interstate Love Song -- Stone Temple Pilots (1994)
I Palindrome I -- They Might Be Giants (1992)
Mammal -- They Might Be Giants (1992)
Spider -- They Might Be Giants (1992)
Good Intentions -- Toad The Wet Sprocket
Possum Kingdom -- Toadies(1994)
Tyler -- Toadies (1994)
Sober -- TooL (1994)
One -- U2(1991)
Can't Help Falling In Love -- UB40 (1993)
Everything About You -- Ugly Kid Joe (1992)
Blister in the Sun -- Violent Femmes (1993)
My Name is Jonas -- Weezer (1994)
Only In Dreams -- Weezer (1994)
El Sorcho -- Weezer (1996)
More Human Than Human -- White Zombie (1995)

Notable omissions due to disliking/hating: Smashing Pumpkins and Counting Crows...hated them both. Also, present tense, hate.

So, what'd I miss?

7 comments:

  1. Terribly ironic, but I was listening to Counting Crows while reading your blog. And loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew that last comment would make you come out of hiding, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what makes the beyonce song even worse for me is that i happened to catch the episode of the new show "glee" where the homo/trannie character sang it. haven't watched it since.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Are these songs of still current like? You've held on to these or they were once liked and you've come to your senses?

    I actually not too long ago disavowed myself of 90's music in general. Declared that a real audio suckbucket.

    Runaway Train?!?!? Oh, Darren. My heart hurts. Even then I knew that song would kill birds if played too loud.

    And the Goo and More than Words and the Blowfish and...oh I have to stop...

    Ok, I did own an Offspring album.

    Actually, most of the list isn't bad. It's just Runaway Train mostly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. James,

    I knew a jest or two from you would be coming. many of these songs I still like: TMBG, Samples, Nirvana, Weezer (blue and Pinkerton), but most were liked in a bygone era where a flannel shirt, worn normally or tied around the waist, was the ideal and every day garment choice. So, manyof these songs I can't stand now: the boy named Goo, Runaway Train, (though Joe may castrate us for saying so, if memory serves he verbally lashed me for speaking ill of it once before - but we are aligned here James).

    Still, taste is a fickle bitch, and while now I feel like I enjoy the finest cheese, part of me will always crave individually wrapped, plain ol' American.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also, James, and I can't believe I forgot this in my last comment, to dismiss all music from the 90s is a bit harsh don't you think? Is there really nothing from that decade you still enjoy?

    Nirvana? Pearl Jam? TMBG? Anything?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet List.

    Couple of additions. Band duplications abound, but couldn't let these songs go.

    Would- Alice in Chains
    Don't Follow-Alice in Chains
    Change- Blind Melon
    Zombie- The Cranberries
    MMM- Crash Test Dummies
    Come Undone- Duran Duran
    Nothing Else Matters- Metallica
    Suck My Kiss- RHCP
    Aeroplane- RHCP
    Walkabout- RHCP
    Spoonman (SpoonDan)- Soundgarden
    Vasoline- STP
    Plush- STP (Probably my all time favorite 90's song.
    How's it gonna be?- Third Eye Blind
    Everybody Hurts- REM
    Nightswimming- REM
    You Oughta Know- Alanis Morissette
    Don't Speak- No Doubt
    1979- Smashing Pumpkins
    Heart Shaped Box- Nirvana
    Hunger Strike- Temple of the Dog
    River of Deceit- Mad Season

    And last but not least.
    Amish Paradise- Weird Al Yankovic

    ReplyDelete