Wars and Windmills

19 January 2009

2008 Favorites: Albums

To avoid the convolution of previous years I have decided to break up my 2008 list into segments.

Obviously this bit covers my favorite albums from the last year. I chose this first because it is the most difficult for me; there are not many albums that can keep my finger off the skip button for at least one song, making it then impossible for me to say that it is a favorite album. I have recently realized that this is perhaps too stringent, too annoying. Still, change is hard, and I am lazy; so rut stuck remain.

These are the albums I heard this year that I enjoyed every song:



Nine Inch Nails -- The Slip
sample: 1,000,000

I am not as vocal about my admiration for NIN as I am about my love for, say, all things acoustic, so this choice may surprise some. This of course by no means diminishes the fact that Trent Reznor is a man with few equals in the realm of music.


Mogwai -- The Hawk Is Howling
sample:
Batcat
Danphe and the Brain

Constant. They have a predictable soft-loud-soft-loud pattern, but methinks it will never get old.




Bon Iver -- For Emma, Forever Ago
sample: Flume

ahh, like a cool breeze when you are not cold...and you have some sweat going.





Horse Feathers -- House With No Home
sample: Curs in Weeds

Though not as good as their last album, this one still had me hooked from note one.





Meursault --Pissing On Bonfires/Kissing With Tongues

sample:
Salt Pt.1
A Small Stretch of Land
A Few Kind Words

If it weren't for Mr. Iver, this would be my favorite offering from 2008.



Short list, I know. My next post should be heftier.

Also, I added a new gadget some time ago that will assist in listening to these without having to open up a new window, just hit the play button next to the song and it will start playing the song from this page, and will go right to the next link.

4 comments:

  1. I need to listen to these Mersault tracks. I haven't tried them out yet. Saw them on some lists and passed. I'm glad you're giving them the thumbs up.

    Bon Iver was a revelation to me this year. I guess it was leaked in 2007 and that's when I started listening to it but I've been dining out on different tracks all year like trying a cheese tray.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure where I would be without your savvy. Regurgitating something from high school most likely. You are released from duty on that mix tape.

    Horsefeathers and Bon Iver are right at the top of my playcount on the ipod.

    Guy Mahem hit it on the head with the cheese tray comment.

    I have high hopes for these new selections.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I owe you big for Mersault. Downloaded the album on the steadfast eMusic this morning, and have been listening to it all afternoon. Well played brave sir.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matt: my joy is immeasurable. I am so happy you liked them, because I like when we overlap in taste.

    They are a rawk solid band. Every song is blazing.

    ReplyDelete