Wars and Windmills

22 January 2008

2007: In Memoriam



EDIT: The mega uber list of all 2007 music lists can be found here: 2007 Music Blog Zeitgeist; compiled with science by The Hype Machine.

Lest any reader think I have forsaken the blogging art, be calm; I merely needed respite for a time.

The year of our Lord two thousand and seven was home to a menagerie of highs and an implosion of lows. I will attempt to quantify the years peaks and valleys in list form.

  • Lows:

    • I am fatter then ever
    • I read less this year (as seen from the shockingly short Books section below)
    • I have lived my last year of my twenties
    • Another National Treasure was released
    • Another year passed not doing what I want for a living
    • Stress. Stress of not knowing if I am actually going to get into grad schools, stress of the embarrassment if I don't, stress of paying off debt, et al.
    • I don't own an iPhone


  • Highs:



      Many thanks to my fellow Cochlea Plunder Guilders -- I owe much joy to this eclectic group.

    • Movies:

      • No Country for Old Men -- Too good. It was all I thought about for many days.
      • The Darjeeling Limited
      • There Will Be Blood -- Daniel D. creates a mesmorisingly deplorable character that is so captivating in his terror it keeps you rooting for his success while hating everything about him. Coupled with an equally eerie score by Jonny Greenwood (of Radiohead fame), this film will not be topped soon.
      • Juno -- Micheal Cera is the king of all geekdom.
      • Once -- A modern musical where the songs are not arbitrary but woven seamlessly into the movie. Beautiful.
      • 3:10 to Yuma -- Aside from Daniel Day-Lewis, Christian Bale is only bested in this movie by his role in:
      • Rescue Dawn
      • 300
      • Superbad
      • The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
      • Zodiac
      • Into the Wild
      • Sweeny Todd (I haven't seen it but, honestly, how could it be bad?)
      • Eastern Promises
      • The Bourne Ultimatum


    • Books:

      • The Road by Cormack McCarthy (thanks Joe)
      • What is the What by Dave Eggars
      • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
      • East of Eden by John Steinbeck
      • Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
      • Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig
      • Dune by Frank Herbert
      • A reread of Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
      • A reread of Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
      • Devil in the White City by Erik Larson


  • Miscellaneous Highs:

    • Year two of marriage to my eternal butt-head
    • Finally perusing a career path
    • Halo 3
    • Beating Halo 3 on Legendary in one sitting with Dan (12 hours)
    • Guitar Hero 3
    • My scooter
    • Beating call of Duty 4...the best ending to a video game I have played.
    • My voice activated, sonar guiding, infrared wielding R2D2 robot gifted to me for Christmas.
    • My retro immersion into music older then 1990. I have always loved the Beatles, but was a virgin when it came to the glory of the Kinks, Led Zeppelin, or some of the Rolling Stones and others. It has been a grand journey.
    • Watching three seasons of Battlestar Galactica with my wife. She is quickly slipping into a pair of well-fitted nerd shoes. However, that it is set in space shouldn't deter from perspective viewing. It is a gripping post-apocalyptic tale of a civilization on the run. Human drama abounds.
    • Going from two cars to one. Much money saved, only minor inconveniences. Well worth it.


to add to this media frenzy here is one of my favorite music videos and songs of last year:

RJD2 -- Work It Out

12 comments:

  1. Hooray for a new post! A fantastic summary of the year. You always amaze me by your well rounded interests. I share the same woe about not reading near enough, but you at least make up for it in the movies you see, and the games you play and your incredible music expertise.

    And don't worry too much about leaving your twenties - I am absolutely confident you'll find your 30's really quite enjoyable (way more than you'd think).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:48 PM

    Flattered indeed to be included in this excellent list. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hound--

    Nice list, hot dog! This will inspire me to get mine together. I will try not to pull any repeats of what you've served up here. I did like that you posted my favorite track off the new Radiohead...it is a magnificent song. It always feels...aquatic (I can't explain it) to me. Like I could be watching old undersea footage of seahorses and eels. It is a stand-up song for sure.

    I was also interested in seing Duncan Sheik on your list. I don't know if you have ever spun the 'Phantom Moon' album, but I have been waiting for a similar offering from him for some time. I have never heard the track you mention here. And since, ostensibly, this David Poe character visited your page, I will have to go buy an album. Mr. Poe ought to thank you for the free publicity.

    I am also thrilled that Mice Parade made your best of 2007. that is one area that I will have to co-opt from you. MP puts out astoundingly solid and engaging albums, and the self-titled was enormous.

    I also have to echo your guild thanks and thank you for the intro to some good artists, notably Viking Moses and Radical Face. Top drawer.

    We'll talk about this later, but don't worry about grad school. You'll get good offers. Keep me posted as they roll in.

    More later.

    Joe------<'}]]]><

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heidi, I thank you.

    David, you are welcome. Great tune.

    Joe the co-opting of MP was done by me...as was a good third of this list, including as it were Phantom Moon; Mr. Chess remains one of my favorite tracks. I have stolen much from you musically so I won't begrudge any overlapping.

    Weird Fishes/Arpeggi is my favorite as well; glad to be on the same page here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes,
    thanks to you for your help in finding new music. my ipod would be a dastardly heap of top 40's poo were it not for you.

    i'm glad i could return the favor with the wheel track. (although ever so small)

    i second heidi's optimism toward the thirty-somethings. it's just fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. whoa--D. I had never listened to "Seahorse" in its entirety. At about 1:57, Devendra starts channeling the Strangler's "Golden Brown." Uncanny. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought exactly the same thing. In fact it was hard to like it at first because of the uncanny resemblance. It grew on me, obviously though because of the dynamics in the song. But man it kind of bugged me at first.

    Isn't Golden Brown in Snatch?

    ReplyDelete
  8. yeah. used ingeniously in the first pikey boxing scene. one of the greatest marriages of cinema and music in recent years, IMHO.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Swell list.

    I enjoyed this last. Especially the teensy part I had in it.

    Have I told you that sometimes I read your blog to stroke my own ego?

    Yeah for me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I meant to say that I enjoyed this list.


    I'm always writing last instead of list!

    Damn me! Oh wait...no...damn you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous8:46 PM

    Nice list, Darreth. 2007 was a year of suck and AH! for me as well. I'm compiling my list tonight and I see overlap. That makes me happy. I'm also happy to see others I do not know of and others I have begun to spin thanks to your donation to my Ipod when I was in Utah. I'll put my list up and then I'm coming back to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So I started reading "The Road" tonight, and I'm already on page 112. It's different than anything I've ever read.

    ReplyDelete