Wars and Windmills

10 January 2007

Top 50

Inspired by the great James Best Poet Extroidnaire (a name renowned for its informative nature as well as its length) I too read with disdain the top 100 songs of 2006 served up with hot supposed definitiveness by The Rolling Stone and consequently (mostly...no no entirely from reading James' blog) decided to make my own list of top 50 songs from 2006. Now, like James, i admit that many of these songs were not necessarily recorded in 2006, but are merely, and this distinction is important, my top 50 songs i enjoyed this year. i will try my darndest to keep the majority of the list comprised of songs from this year, but i will not try even a shade of darndest to put them in any particular order.

  • 10 Dollar Ascots--Tapes 'N Tapes
  • Hope There's Someone--Antony and the Johnsons
  • Song Song Song--Final Fantasy
  • 10:1--Rogue Wave
  • All Hands the Cook--The Walkmen
  • Gideon--My Morning Jacket
  • Curtains--Smoke
  • Old College Try--The Mountain Goats
  • King of Carrot Flowers Part 1--Neutral Milk Hotel
  • Me and Mia--Ted Leo/Pharmacists
  • The World Spins Madly On--The Weepies
  • Heartbeats--Jose Gonzales
  • Maybe Not--Cat Power
  • Prayer for the Paranoid--Mojave 3
  • The Artic Circle--Final Fantasy
  • Killing Armies--Wolf Parade
  • We're No Here--Mogwai
  • Insistor--Tapes 'N Tapes
  • La Da Da--Low Flying Owls
  • He Lays in Reins--Iron and Wind and Calexico
  • You Are a Runner and I Am My Father's Son--Wolf Parade
  • Wordless Chorus--My Morning Jacket
  • Your Hand in Mine--Explosions in the Sky
  • A Comet Appears--The Shins
  • Wake Up--The Arcade Fire
  • Dirty Girl--Eels
  • Dying of the Pines--The Gourds
  • Bad Education--Tilly and the Wall
  • Story Board--The Album Leaf
  • Club Foot--Kasabian
  • Restless Sinner--Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
  • Home By Saturday--Hayden
  • I Summon You--Spoon
  • Right Where It Belongs--Nine Inch Nails
  • Mercy--Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
  • Moving Pictures Silent Films--Great Lake Swimmers
  • This Year--The Mountain Goats
  • Crosses--Jose Gonzales
  • Death of a Salesman--Low
  • Girl in the War--Josh Ritter
  • The Moon--Cat Power
  • The Trapese Swinger--Iron and Wine
  • Chinaberry Tree--Mew
  • Young Folks--Peter, Bjorn, and John
  • Mushaboom--Feist
  • Glossoli--Sigur Ros
  • Modern World (Origional Recording)--Wolf Parade
  • Danny Says--Tom Waits
  • My Only Friend--Deadsy
  • When I Go Deaf--Low

I know i promised to try and keep most songs from 2006, but i don't think it ended up that way as there are many from '05, '04, and even one not yet released in '07...oh well...try is so very relative.

You may be happy, or feel i am insane, to see that i have omitted Sufjan Stevens from my list. I have grown tired of him and ache in my joints like an old man sitting in a creaking rocker on the porch predicting bad weather when I think we still have 48 more state albums with accompanying 20 song EP's to look forward to (as said previously in a comment on James' blog, but i felt needed repeating).

If you are upset by my anti-Sufjan sentements let me attempt to cheer you up...focus on the elegance, grace, and magic of this beauty and you'll be feeling fine in no time:

15 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:25 PM

    Oh, sweet The Trapeze Swinger by Iron and Wine. It's goodness makes me hurt down to my Vas Deferens. I have so many songs to steal from the intranet now. And the Wolf Parade songs. How could I forget them?

    I need to make ammendments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:45 PM

    Well, Darren so far the Real Men have posted their awesome lists. Residents of Mansville, Population 2 have come forward. If that town would like to get bigger, I guess someone needs to, dare we say, bring it?

    Cuz we done brung it already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is nothing like a rearing, purple-maned unicorn to help impede a near implosion (*whew*) after finding I only truly knew THREE songs on that list. Though I suppose I am not terribly surprised - I shall never catch up to you little brother...

    ReplyDelete
  4. did you get that shins cd i left on your computer sweetie?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:33 PM

    To begin with, James hearts you, so he downloaded most of the songs on your 50 list. Then I moved them right onto my Ipod. So I just wanted to say thank you for getting me through another day of formatting at my (unpaid) internship. I couldn't have done it without you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:54 PM

    Joe isn't responding to my taunt. Sure, my insults are usually more of the blunt variety while his have the precision of lawn darts in sensitive areas.

    I just want to see his list now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fake Manhood! Zounds!

    My "list of lust" has been posted. Bring what you have. Not only does my list include some of what sustained the Grizzlepaws, but it has (get this) qualifying statements! (that depreciate exponentially as the list gets longer...)

    i like darren's list enough. it is VASTLY superior to Jameses's's lizt. Franz Liszt.

    although...did i see The Knife on there? did i not notice it? remember, no Knife = No street Cred, at least in Sweden. But you included Smoke! Yes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. allen, my pet, i already had it, but thanks for the back up.

    Valerie, i am glad that i could make part of your day enjoyable, though the unpaid part should be reward enough.

    as for the lask of the knife on my list, i rikey the knife, but for me, not for the list

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous5:14 PM

    Vastly superior! I am a vast chasm of fury right now! I knew your insults would hit right to the core, Josephine.

    And qualifying statements? Oh you upper of the ante. My next list is going to have animations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh james you slayer of me...i am in a vast bubble of hilarity!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous7:34 PM

    Perhaps only the band VAST can truly express my rage.

    Oh, Rogue Wave's 10:1 is truly an awesome song. I feel I've been hasty in my some of my listing. There may be some ammendments to my slapdash constitution.

    ReplyDelete
  12. James....Rogue Wave? Rogue Wave? Are you kidding?

    You must have been hit on the head...by a speeding subway.. or one of those freak piano-moving accidents that (as Hanna-Barbera has taught me) happen nearly everyday and on every block in NYC.

    Rogue Wave. I laugh at you in the frigid Hoth-ness of Idaho Falls.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh man...How will James reply? Who will turn this verbal fisticuffs up to the next notch and quaff from the victor's gobblet?

    Yet, i am not one to talk...the song is on my superior list. however, i fully expecet that the vast majority of things i like to me mocked and hated by the superior taste of young Joenseph, so this bothers me not at all, as the irony of it all will speak for itself.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous9:00 PM

    Rogue Wave stays. The Knife out.

    Watch your fortress of solitude, Jo-jo. Me and the Hound are coming for the gates. I am that subway train...of righteous indignation!

    You may have a tiff on your hands. A tiff, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous5:22 AM

    This is great info to know.

    ReplyDelete